Quote:

"Men of genius are admired, men of wealth are envied, men of power are feared; but only men of character are trusted" -- Author Unknown

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Our Dog Negra, by: Laura Mirabal




There are few times in our life that we are blessed with owning a precious dog that improves our quality of life, filling it with unconditional doggy-love, and making us feel fortunate that this precious animal was a part of it. 

Negra was our dog for 11 years. 

Every workday she waited for us, while looking out the living room window, at about the time we were supposed to return from work.  As soon as she saw us turn the corner to our apartment, she made a mad dash for the door. We knew what would be waiting for us - there she was, with a smile on her jaw (yes, dogs do smile), her stubby tail gyrating wildly, and her eyes so bright and gleaming with love, that we could read the message she was sending us, "I am so glad to see you, mom and dad!”

When I was cooking in the kitchen, she was my constant companion in that no-man’s-land.  She would lie on the floor with her hind legs spread-eagle and watch, with doggy-curiosity, as I prepared our family meals.  Sometimes, I would tempt her by holding a piece of meat just out of her reach –her hairy ears would flap up and down as she jumped while trying to catch the piece of meat.  I enjoyed this special exchange between us because she was very funny, and we alone shared it.

After our evening meal, the three of us would sit on the sofa to watch TV.  Negra always lay between us and she would usually roll over on her back to get her stomach or ears scratched.

We spoiled her by letting her sleep in our bed.  I don’t know what went through her doggy-mind, but from the first night she decided that she would sleep on my side of the bed.  Did this mean that she knew I was a girl just like her? 

She not only slept on my side of the bed, she chose to sleep at my feet.  She went through a ritual each night – she would do what all dogs do, go around in a circle, and then, after she lay down, she proceeded to push her butt up against my legs until she found her “sweet spot” to rest for the night.

Feeling her warm, small body next to my feet helped to relieve my stress and provided me with a good night’s sleep.

Negra filled our lives with unconditional doggy-love, over-abundance of doggy-licks and precious and funny memories that will last us a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment