Quote:

"Men of genius are admired, men of wealth are envied, men of power are feared; but only men of character are trusted" -- Author Unknown

Thursday, February 3, 2011

I HAVE BECOME A "HIGH-TECHY"


I have totally embraced the Internet and Worldwide Web search engines.  I have always considered myself a vanguardist for implementing more efficient use of established processes at work, so when I discovered the various search engines available on the internet, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.   I found that the answers to my questions and information about whatever subject I desired, were found in a micro-minute.
Pre-Internet, if I wanted or needed to obtain information on a particular subject, I would have to make a trip to my local library branch during their regular working hours and wish and hope that I could quickly find the information I needed – usually the search was slow and tedious, or just not worth the effort.   
Today, I stay home in my leisure apparel and search the internet for any and all information.   I can even go to my library website and search for books in their online catalog and I have the option to reserve them for pick up at a later date; it is awesome.
My searches are not high caliber and I have never, up to now, given a second thought about which search engines I use for my searches.  I simply use Internet Explorer as my browser, type the keyword(s) of the subject matter I want to retrieve and then select from the “hit” list that appears.
What I found is that I can use either Bing or Google; I noticed, though, that I use Bing the most because it is the default search engine on my browser home page.
I could not tell you which is better, Bing or Google because, as I said, I have never given any thought to this process; I just know that I find whatever I am looking for.  I bookmark those sites I use on a regular basis.  There are sites I visit and want to keep handy for future reference such as certain magazines, newspapers and other publications - special sites and resource links I store in my Favorites’ list which allows fast access to sites I visit occasionally or want to keep for future reference.
YouTube has also become a valuable resource to me with endless choices for music and instructional videos to inform me on the latest salsa dance steps, and even how to tile my bathroom – it is invaluable to me. 
I consider myself fortunate to be living and enjoying all this technology which has enriched my life and connects me to people from around the world and I can read about and see the world without leaving my home.  I also feel a great sense of satisfaction that I have embraced and use this new communications technology for my personal edification and enrichment.

No comments:

Post a Comment